10. Great local music and venues.
9. It is just as easy to go out and be crazy on the weekends, or stay in and be lazy.
8. Small town appeal; metropolitan attitude (kinda).
7. You can get anyway in or around town in 15 mintues. Period.
6. The area is a haven for creativity. It must be the crystals in the bedrock.
5. The liberally-minded oasis of the South. And it ain't Atlanta.
4. The beautiful beautiful mountains!!
3. Swimming in the coldest water holes supplied by fresh mountain water. And jumping off rocks.
2. Crisp, chilly, foggy summer mornings.
1. Local food. Buying fresh figs and blackberries from the gentleman farmer that comes into the downtown restaurants. And then eating said figs for breakfast with yogurt, honey, and walnuts. YUMMMMM. And making blackberry cobbler with orange essence in the crust. Oh yes. You know you want it.
If you aren't from here, or aren't familiar with the area, you really should check it out. And this coming from a person that silently curses the stupid tourists, especially when they attempt to parallel park for 15 minutes before just giving up and driving away, all the while you've been sitting behind them, waiting, because they can't get their big freakin' SUV into the space, or out of the way enough for you to scoot by. And this is NOT a hard town to drive in. AT ALL.
But seriously, if you haven't visited, you should. I hear the leaf change this year is going to be glorious.